Full course description
Welcome to the Green Labs Sustainability Course!
The Green Labs Program at UBC supports researchers to reduce the environmental impact of laboratory-based activities by implementing sustainable practices and technologies. We provide UBC faculty, staff and students with the opportunity to learn about wise environmental practices, exchange ideas, access recycling and energy conservation programs.
This course is designed as an extension to the resources available on our website to give an overview on sustainable lab practices and initiatives at UBC Point Grey. This course aims to help you and your research group to take climate action and to improve the sustainability of your lab.
In addition to reducing the environmental footprint of your lab, prioritizing lab sustainability can also lead to:
- Improved lab performance
- Sustainable lab practices can often go hand-in-hand with other benefits for the lab, including cost savings, increased safety, more adaptable labs, and a competitive advantage in both funding applications and recruitment of talented employees and researchers.
- Additional resources, including financial resources
- Getting involved with Green Labs means your lab can benefit from a wealth of resources, including lab sustainability toolkits, conservation campaign support, equipment rebates, grants, and much more.
- Professional development opportunities
- Lab members can gain specialized knowledge and skills, showcase their leadership, expand their professional networks, and earn recognition by championing lab sustainability projects and participating in dedicated programs such as the Sustainability Coordinators program.
The course is divided into several main modules:
- Waste & Recycling
- Green Chemistry
- Get Involved
This course will take approximately 40-50 minutes. At the end of the course there will be a quiz to receive a certificate of completion.